The Department of Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies is committed to providing a rigorous and integrated academic experience for those interested in feminist scholarship and gender studies. Students investigate and learn how gender intersects with race, class and other vectors of power, and delve into an interdisciplinary approach to the study of women, gender and sexuality, and how gender functions transnationally.
Major Academic Areas
- Gender in Asia and the Pacific
- Law, Sexuality, and Violence
- Global Feminism
- Feminist Methods of Inquiry and Theoretical Analysis explores sex and gender as analytical categories.
- Feminist Knowledge studies the pervasive impact of gender relations on thoughts, actions and prevailing constructions of reality.
- Sex and Gender, and Social-Political Categories of Power and Privilege examines the interaction of sex and gender with race/ethnicity, class, sexuality and other primary vectors of power and privilege as relevant to the human experience.
- Sex and Gender Differences analyzes the empirical and philosophical debates concerning sameness and difference as it relates to gender.